I envision Reader’s Workshop to a productive
routine where my students will be encouraged to enjoy reading. I would love my
Reader’s Workshop area to be comfortable for not only me but for my students as
well. I would like to have a rug, pillows or beanbags for them to sit on. I
want them to be nice and comfortable while they are reading. I know that I will
not enjoy reading sitting down on those hard chairs that classrooms have and
having the book on my desk. I enjoy reading laying down on my bed or sitting on
this huge beanbag chair that I have in my room. So why not make sure that my
students can be comfortable as well while reading?
I will start off Reader’s Workshop with
a mini-lesson. I would read a book to them that is below their grade level so
that I can keep the mini-lesson short. I would ask questions throughout the
book and give each student a chance to answer. I believe by asking questions we
comprehend more of what is going on. I will also let them turn to a buddy, ask
each other questions, and I will go around and listen to what they are talking
about. After I have explained things thoroughly to them, I will send them off
for independent reading.
During independent reading I will walk
around and try to get to every student if we have enough time. I will ask them
a question or two on what they are reading, or maybe even have them read aloud
to me and make sure that they are pronouncing words correctly. Once I have
given them enough time to read independently, I will have them take our their
reading journals. Everyday I will have them write something different in their
journals and maybe have them summarize what they read all the time so that they
can remember what they read.


First off I wanted to say that I love the overall look of your blog. It is very creative and catchy. The points you made in this response were almost identical to mine. I think it is so important to make sure the the environment of the classroom is comfortable. I also think it is important for students to be comfy and cozy while they read. They will want to read more if they feel safe and at home. I agree with your last paragraph. It is very important that the teacher walks around checking in on students to make sure they are on task and understanding what they are doing.
ReplyDelete