Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Writing a Rough Draft (Step Two)

Drafting is the stage when we begin to put our paper in paragraph form. This is where we put our ideas into complete thoughts, such as sentences and paragraphs. We organize our ideas in a way that allows the reader to understand our message. We do this by focusing on which ideas or topics to include in our paper. During drafting, we will compose an introduction to the piece and develop a conclusion for the material.
            A rough drafts is a very important element of the writing process. The better I understand and follow the process, the better my writing becomes. One of the key steps of writing is revision. By writing a rough draft it gives me the chance to see what I wrote, change or add something, or keep what I have.

When I begin to write my draft, I keep in mind four separate writing techniques that I will include in my paper: the thesis statement which I include somewhere in my introduction, topic sentences which I put in the beginning of each paragraph that state the main idea of that paragraph, support for the topic sentences, and coherence. The introduction for me is always one of the hardest parts of writing my paper. I always get so tied up with what I should state and how to write my thesis so it is not so long. I always struggle with making my thesis. Once I start writing and it is something that interests me I can write forever! My conclusions are usually sort since it just puts an end to my writing with a little summary of everything that I stated. I spend quite a lot of time on my rough draft because I always write and then I think of extra things to add. I use to always write my drafts on paper, but now I just use the computer because it is faster to type and it just looks neater, even though our rough draft does not have to be neat.



1 comment:

  1. I agree that the more I understand and follow the writing process the better my writing is! I like the way you outlined the parts that you focus your rough draft on (the thesis, main idea, topic sentences, and coherence). I especially like that you mentioned coherence because I wouldn't have thought of that, but it is important to make sure what you are writing makes sense and clearly gets your point across.

    ReplyDelete