Sunday, October 19, 2014

Handbook fot Boys: Discussion #4

I cannot believe how the book ended! I was sort of disappointed I hate being left thinking what happened in the future! Kevin ended up going to prison because he got caught with possession of marijuana. I can honestly say I knew Kevin was going to end up doing something wrong with his life. Throughout the book in my opinion he seemed like he didn’t really care about anything and he did not want to take any advise from any of the guys at the barbershop. Jimmy on the other hand listened to the men in the barbershop’s advice and he realized how important it is to have good role models in your life. At the end of the book, he tried to be a mentor to Ernesto, the new guy at the barbershop. I wish the book would have went on to tell us if Kevin ever turned his life around when he gets our of jail and what did Jimmy end up doing with his life.
            In our meeting through text message, we also talked about choices that we make in order to live the life that we want. Sister Smith came to visit Jimmy and talk to him about God and how God is important. I really did not like the role that she played because she was sort of putting Duke’s advice down. She mentioned how Duke never related any of his advice to God and that his advice was sort of not worthy of taking. I do not think that this talk about God is something that will not do any good for Jimmy. The talk about sex and the choices you need to make in life in order to succeed are topics that Jimmy really needs to know about and get advice about since they are things that we need to know about in life.

When I think about God and if God plays a big role in our life and how it turns how, I sort of I agree with it. I believe that God is there for us whenever we need him, but he does not really play a role on how we live our life. We make the decisions and take control of the path that we are going to take in life. Duke and the guys from the barbershop were trying to teach Jimmy and Kevin how to make good decisions in their lives and to take the right path. They gave them examples, and introduced them to people who took the wrong path and people who took the right path so that they know what is to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment