“Life is not working for people, they’re making their lives
work by figuring out how they want to live and acting in their own interest.” –
Duke.
For our
second meeting, we talked about “success.” The 52 pages that we read for this
meeting had a lot to do about success, what it is, and how to be successful.
Duke talked about how he would want every boy in Harlem to go to
pre-kindergarden philosophy so that he can teach him to start thinking about
how they will live their lives. He states how he want to publish a book called
“A Handbook for Boys” which will have three rules in it. Rule number one:
Figure out what success is. Rue number two: find out what work is needed to get
to that success. Rule number three: Once you find out what success is, what
work is needed to get there, then go and do the work. He wants to publish this
book because he feels that there are not enough role models to pass down
information that young people need to pursue success.
Mister M
talks about his life growing up, how his father and mother both worked really
hard sorting coffee in Puerto Rico. They worked hard so that they could move to
the US and send him to a good school. He came here to the US, joined the army,
worked at Macys, and opened up his own restaurant. He was pretty content with
how his life turned out. Duke and Mister M talk about success so that they have
Jimmy and Kevin think about it and see what they want to do with their lives.
Success
means different things to many people. Success mostly means to achieve a goal
of some sort. Success for me means to graduate college with a diploma in
Bilingual Elementary Education and once I graduate to be able to get a job.
When I think of role models I have four role models in my life that I thank god
every day for. They are my parents and my two brothers. My brothers are
especially the two people who I look up to the most. They both are more than 8
years older than me and have achieved so much in life that I strive to one day
be as successful as them. Growing up, my parents always enforced “getting an
education” on us. My parents did not go to college so for them it was important
that we went. My parents both work hard jobs and they support me in every way
possible. They are honestly the best parents and when I become a mom I want to
be just like them. Now back to my brothers, because education was so important
for us my brothers made sure to graduate from college. One brother is a Lawyer
and the other is Information Technologist (IT).
I see how they are now and again it makes me want to be just like them,
but I will be a teacher. They always gave me advice growing up and made sure
that I was doing what I was supposed to do. That is what success means to me.
Now what does success mean to you?



No comments:
Post a Comment