I was assigned to a book club with three other members from
my class. We are currently reading “Handbook for Boys” by Walter Dean Myers. We
all read the first 52 pages of the book before we met up for our first meeting
together. We discussed a couple of things about some of the main characters,
but mainly about Duke and Jimmy. We also talked about what happened so far in
the book and if we liked the book or not and why.
Jimmy was
introduced in the beginning of story and he was being assigned to a youth
facility for assaulting a kid. A man named Duke who owns a barbershop in town,
was in court watching while Jimmy was about to be assigned to a youth facility.
He decided that he will take Jimmy and have him work at his barbershop, he will
mentor him, and then he will pay for his first two years of college. Kevin is
another kid who Duke saved from being put in jail for selling marijuana. Duke
is also doing the same for Kevin. I believe it is really nice of Duke to be
doing this for two kids that he does not even know. There are not a lot of
people out there now days that will actually do that for people they do not
know. I believe that Jimmy will end up doing something with his life since he
seems to care about what is happening with his life. He spends time with his
mother and helps her out. He seems like a decent kid who just got in trouble
mainly because he got into a physical fight with a boy. I feel like I have not
gotten enough background information about Kevin just yet that I can make a
prediction about how he will turn out. Duke is truly an amazing man who’s goal
is basically to help people out who have not gotten enough information about
how to succeed in life and help them out by mentoring them.

Your blog has great information about the book especially for readers who do not know of this particular book. I think your use of opinion and reaction interspersed throughout the blog is very effective because it shows us of how you actively read. I think that something like this can be used as a model for your future students on how to be an effective reader.
ReplyDelete