Monday, October 13, 2014

Does collaborative learning support literacy?

Collaborative learning is an educational approach to teaching and learning that involves groups of students working together to solve a problem, complete a task, or create a product. I believe that collaborative learning definitely does support literacy. Students benefit when they are exposed to diverse viewpoints from people with varied different backgrounds. Learning flourishes in a social environment where conversation between students takes place. In a collaborative learning environment, students are challenged both socially and emotionally as they listen to different perspectives, and are required to express and defend their ideas. I believe that when students are actively engaging and negotiating ideas with other students, it increases their interest in learning. I love to hear about what different students thought about a specific topic and their ideas. I like to see if I can relate to other people when we are assigned to discuss some things in the classroom. If I can somehow relate with someone it makes everything more interesting and I am sure it does for many people. 
         Working in groups expands a student’s thoughts and helps them understand things more when they listen to not only their ideas but also the ideas of their classmates. It lets them gain responsibility of their knowledge. Collaborative learning really has a positive influence on literacy. When students get into groups it helps them understand the book more. They each can help each other on ideas of the book and share what they thought about the book. It allows students to develop leadership skills if they are leaders in their groups. It also helps them gain social skills. They learn how to talk to one another and how to take control if they want to express and idea. Good social skills are critical to a successful life. They enable us to know what to say, how to make good choices, and how to behave in diverse situations. We learn all this through working in groups and interacting with other people/students. I believe a key to learning is interacting with others.


Research shows that educational experiences that are active, social, and engaging lead to deeper learning. The benefits of collaborative learning include: development of higher-level thinking, oral communication, self-management, and leadership skills, it increases the students self-esteem and responsibility, and it helps them better understand material when exposed to different perspectives from different students. (Cornell University Center for Teaching Excellence)





1 comment:

  1. Great post. Nice use of outside evidence. Make sure to grab some knowledge nuggets from the assigned readings from class. Elementary teachers now have to teach informational text writing with multiple sources. This give us a chance to practice.

    Nice use of multimodal features. The pics you found were great, though I might have spaced them through the post (maybe like section breaks).

    Your writing is well organized. With a little more practice you will have created a great teacher blog.

    ReplyDelete