Monday, November 10, 2014

What and Why Do You Read?

To be honest I never really liked reading until I was in High School. I guess I really never gave reading a chance, since I was so bored and tired of all the “summer readings” and readings that we were assigned in class before my high school years that I did not care about reading anything else. I remember I used to dread going home after school to have to read all that boring stuff assigned for me to read in our English textbooks. When I got to high school, I started to read Nicholas Sparks books  such as: The Lucky One, A Walk to Remember, Message in a Bottle, The Notebook, and the best of me. I also read the Hunger Games and Twilight series. I am not embarrassed to say that those are some of the books that I enjoy to read. Everyone has their own like for what books they like to read.

            Nicholas Sparks has to be my favorite author. I love the way Nicholas writes, he can pull everything together. The characters in his books are always good, I tend to fall in love with them. He tends to use the same writing style in all of his books, but they each have a different plot. I love the whole romance theme in his books. I really enjoy his style of writing, I like not knowing what to expect and wondering if anyone will die or miraculously  live. I think if a book ever truly makes you angry, sad, or happy then the author has truly done a good job at making his scenarios realistic and believable. I can honestly say I have cried in every single one of his books.

            I also really enjoy reading the news everyday. I like to see what is happening not only in my area, but around the world. I use this website called “Daily Mail” and also CT Post. I just want to know what is happening around the world at the moment, I do not want to feel lost if there is anything important occurring. Reading the news is also a form of entertainment for me. I read it during the day when I am not really doing anything.

            I love to read because I learn new things when I read, especially when I am reading the news. I also learn new things by reading nutrition labels on food. I have never mentioned this before, but I am very careful with what I eat. I eat healthy and I do CrossFit and I want to make sure that what I put into my body is good. Although, I do have my cheat day where I do not read any labels.


            Reading is very important and I understand that we may not all enjoy it, but once you find that something/topic that you like to read, you will always be reading.



3 comments:

  1. I can relate to your post in several ways, I also did not like reading until high school because I was always forced to read things that did not interest me. In high school I found books that interested me and because of that I learned to love to read. I also like to read to learn new things and stay informed. I think reading to learn new things or to keep up with what is going on in the world around you can be a great motivator to kids in school because it can appeal to students with many different interests. Lastly, I find that reading product labels can be very interesting and a good way to be conscious of the things you are consuming or using and how they can effect your health or the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the complete opposite. I have always loved reading ever since a young age beginning with picture books. To this day, I read a lot. I make it a goal of trying to read about 15 books and that is only for the summer. I enjoyed the summer readings that we were given in school! Call me a bookworm. I do think that reading is important at any and every age no matter what the purpose may be. This can be an experience you can use to show the importance of reading in your future classroom especially if you encounter a student who does not like to read. For Nicholas Spark's books, I am also a fan of his writing. If you have not read At First Sight, you should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I have to start reading Nicholas Sparks! I never read anything by him, but saw the Notebook on tv and loved it! Did you ever read anything by Jodi Picoult? She is one of my favorites! I don't like reading the news: it is too depressing. I find that there is no objective reporting done in the media, which is one of the reasons I do not like to read the paper. If I do read a paper, it is the NY Times. As for news on tv, I prefer BBC news over any of the american stations.

    ReplyDelete