Friday, September 12, 2014

My Perfect Classroom

          I look forward to the day when I have the opportunity to set up my classroom for my students when I become a teacher. I hope that the way I set up my classroom will help my students learn to their greatest ability. I want to create a room where positive learning will be challenged. Students prefer different settings in which to learn, and as a teacher, we are the ones who have to create that perfect classroom for them. Well we all know that everything is not perfect, so lets say we have to TRY to create that perfect classroom.
 In my classroom, I want to provide different materials for my students to do a lot of hands on activities to accompany what they are learning. This will help them better understand the things that I will be teaching them. I want to offer my students some group work when I assign them some assignments. I feel that this will give them an opportunity to better express themselves on what they think, get feedback from their classmates, or even get help from each other.
The physical aspect of my perfect classroom would consist of many different learning areas. I will have a reading area with beanbags and a nice soft carpet where my students can go and read. I will have my bookshelf in the reading area that will consist of many different books so that they have a lot of choices and they will be arranged alphabetically. There will be a computer section so my students can do research. I would have a smart board on one side of the classroom and a white board in the front of the classroom. I prefer a whiteboard over a chalkboard because chalk gets too messy. Next to the smart board, there will be a TV.I will have a certain section of the classroom for just class materials. That section will have paper, pens, pencils, highlighters, scissors, rulers, and a pencil sharpener. I will have all the materials locked except the pencil sharpener because I don’t want my students getting hurt if they pick up a pair of scissors or grab too many materials that they will not need. I will have control over that section. I will also have what I would call a “discover lab area” where my students can go to after they complete their assignment and they are well behaved.
My classroom will have at least three windows so that we will have some natural light inside. The windows will have blinds allowing me to control how much light coming in for certain activities. There will be a sink in my classroom so my students don’t have to leave the classroom if they ever need to wash their hands. For storage purposes, I will have a closet that has cubbies and hooks. I will also have a good amount of cabinets to store my materials. Here they can examine different science artifacts or even see some cool animals like worms or butterflies.
When it comes to desk placement, I will first have the students arranged in groups. I believe that students work better in groups, it motivates them, and makes it easier for them to reach out to their classmates. I will move the students around in different groups depending on how they perform in the classroom. Their chairs wont be the normal chairs, I will provide them with nice comfortable cushioned chairs.

            I want to make sure that my students enjoy learning. I want them to feel comfortable to voice their opinions. My classroom will be a fun place to learn and explore new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment