We can all agree that language arts is
an important area of education, since reading, writing, listening, and speaking
is spread throughout schools’ curriculums. It is important because throughout
our life we are always speaking and listening, and while in school, doing
homework, or at work we are either readying or writing. Studying literature teaches
us how to analyze how people think, while the study of writing teaches us how
to organize our thoughts and write them down on a sheet of paper.
I am positive that I have had a lot of
encounters with Language Arts throughout my life, but I honestly do not
remember them. However, I do have this one memory of my Language Arts
experience when I was in second grade. I remember walking into my second grade
classroom for the first time and the first thing that caught my attention was
the bookshelf that my teacher had. I had never seen so many books in a
classroom before and I thought it was awesome that my classroom sort of
resembled a library! All the books were neatly stacked and organized
alphabetically, if I remember correctly. Next to the bookshelf there was a sign
that read “Classroom Library” and there was a paper on the wall by the sign,
which was where we wrote our names to check out the book we were going to read.
One day during the first week of class,
my teacher told us to go pick out a book from the bookshelf. Sadly, I do not
remember what book I picked out; it was just too long ago. We had a week to
complete the book, and once we were finished with our book, we had a fun
project to do and a writing assignment. I enjoyed doing the project because I
was able to color! The task for our project was to draw and color our favorite
part of the book. After I finished my project, I had to present it to the
class. I had to tell them what I drew and why it was my favorite part of the
book. The writing part of the assignment consisted of me writing what the book
was about. I loved the fact that the teacher let us pick out what book we
wanted to read rather then assign us a book. It made me more interested in what
I was reading and it made it easier for me to summarize the book because it was
something I enjoyed reading. This honestly made me want to read more because I
was introduced to books that really caught my attention. I started to take out
a book from the library to read on my own every so often.
When I become a teacher, I want to be
able to have a very nice library for my kids just like I had in seconds grade. I
want to be able to offer them a variety of books to read that will interest
them. I have already started saving some books that were handed down to me and
that I have bought from bookstores when they were on sale.

No comments:
Post a Comment