In 1848, a group of abolitionist activists, mostly women,
but some men gathered in Seneca Falls, New York to discuss the problem of
women’s rights. They were invited there by the reformers Elizabeth Stanton and
Lucretia Mott. Most of the delegates agreed: American women were autonomous
individuals who deserved their own political identities. “We hold these truths
to be self-evident,” proclaimed the Declaration of Sentiments that the
delegates produced, “that all men and women are created equal, that they
are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these
are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” What this meant, among other
things, was that they believed women should have the right to vote.
“What is your favorite moment in History?” that is a little
hard for me to answer since I was never really interested in History. Since I
have to pick, I would have to choose the women’s suffrage campaign/when the 19th
amendment was passed.
It gave us women the right to vote and before the
suffrage movement, only men had a voice in deciding political, social, and
economic issues. It gave us the right to be seen as equal to men. Whether we
are a man or a woman we are all human and the same. Men should not be superior
to women. Without women, men would not have come into this world.
I would not like to have lived in a world where men were
the most important and women were basically worthless. I am glad that the 19th
amendment was passed.


No comments:
Post a Comment